We wanted Light Creatures at Adelaide Zoo to be accessible to all including adding AUSLAN QR codes to signage.
Adelaide Zoo was faced with an interesting predicament: How to activate engagement and visitor numbers during what is traditionally a quieter time. Adelaide Zoo partnered with Illuminate Adelaide to present Light Creatures – an evolving celebration of conservation where visitors explore the historic precinct to encounter new up close and immersive experiences from lanterns, to interactive performance and even the newest Light Creature – a larger-than-life roaming tiger that prowls the zoo grounds.
Light Creatures’ accessibility efforts saw it work with Deaf Can:Do (now Deaf Connect) on Auslan videos to communicate the stories of the lanterns and installations to help more people enjoy Light Creatures.
A series of Auslan translations were positioned at key locations across the site with access to videos using QR codes.
Auslan translation videos were watched an average of 2,400 times. Accessibility was also addressed through:
- Large font options on our website
- Being a wheelchair accessible site.
- The walkways and trails that are part of the event were accessible for individuals with wheelchairs.
- Equipped with accessible toilet facilities to ensure the safety and privacy of all our visitors.
- Wheelchairs available for hire
- Companion card was applicable for Light Creatures at Adelaide Zoo meaning a card holder had a ‘Free of Charge’ ticket for their carer.
More information can be found here.
SA Power Networks